Reserve Not Met
Tuesday, October 1
6:00 pm *
Tuesday, October 15
1473 St. James Court
Louisville, KY 40208
10% Buyer’s Premium added to the hammer bid price to determine the final purchase price.
Real Estate Terms
10% Non-refundable down payment in the form of cash, check or wired funds are due within 24 hours following the auction, balance due in 40 days. Taxes prorated to the day of closing. Possession at closing. Selling as is without contingencies, all inspections welcomed prior to the auction.
Selling online the famed “Pink Palace” of St. James Court in Historic Old Louisville. Inspired by classic French Chateau design this two-and-a-half-story grand six-bedroom home features the original woodwork, ornate stained glass windows, three turret rooms, basement with private living quarters, fenced-in backyard, in-ground pool, detached 2 car garage on a large city lot with additional parking. Make your mark with this statement home and claim your spot at the top of St. James Court for generations to come.
The Pink Palace
- St. James – Belgravia Old Louisville Neighborhood
- 4,170 Square Feet on Three Floors
- 6 Bedrooms – 3.5 Baths
- Three Turret Rooms
- 1,390 Square Feet Living Quarters in Basement
- Oversized 0.26 Acre 200’ Deep City Lot
- Detached 2-Car Garage with Alley Access & Additional Parking
- Fenced-In Back Yard with In-Ground Pool
- Central Air and Gas Heat
- Old Louisville Preservation District
- Near Churchill Downs, University of Louisville, Dining, and Shopping
The Pink Palace built in 1891 brings history and opportunity together at the corner of St. James and Belgravia Courts. This historic landmark has been a club for gentlemen, a women’s group supporting prohibition, and a champion of eclectic design. Throughout its storied history, this turn of the century Victorian mansion has been many things, but never boring. Two and a half stories tall and measuring in at 4,170 square feet the home includes 6 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, grand foyer with a three-story staircase, formal dining room, living room, 7 fireplaces, hardwood floors, 12” baseboards, ornately carved mantels, stained glass and leaded windows throughout. The basement has an additional 1390 square feet with a separate entrance ideal for guest quarters or casual entertaining area. The home’s signature pink color-way since 1921 and the pronounced three-story turret make it the perfect beacon to rest atop St. James Court with its center greens.
Unique to the area this property includes an oversized fenced-in backyard 200 feet deep with in-ground pool, expertly crafted landscaping and a 24’ x 24’ detached 2 car garage with alley access with additional parking, and an attached covered concrete patio for entertaining.
This is a one of a kind opportunity to put your spin on a classic. Join the St. James community and make the Pink Palace your own.
- 11 Foot Ceiling Height
- Grand Foyer with Three-Story Wood Staircase
- Living Room with Pocket Doors, Fireplace, Large Casement Windows, and Turret Room
- Private Dining Room with Pocket Doors and Fireplace
- Equipped Kitchen with Butler’s Door
- Half Bath with Tile Floor
- 11 Foot Ceiling Height
- Master Bedroom, Fireplace, Wood Floors, and Turret Room
- Bedroom with Wood Floors
- Bedroom with Fireplace
- Full Bath with Tile Floor, and Stacking Samsung Washer and Dryer
- 8’-8” Ceiling Height
- Bedroom with Fireplace, Build-In Bookcases, Wood Floors, and Turret Room
- Bedroom with Wood Floors
- Bedroom with Fireplace, Wood Floors
- Full Bath with Tile Floor
- Iron Staircase Fire Escape
- 8 Foot Ceiling Height
- Outside Entrance with Private Gated Entry
- Three Rooms, Fireplace, Equipped Kitchen, Full Bath, and Laundry Closet
- Central Air & Gas Heat
- Iron Fenced Courtyard Patio
- Waterproofed April 2019
- 24’ x 24’ Detached 2-Car Garage with Alley Access
- Additional Off-Street Parking
- 8’ x 17’10” Garage Opening
- 12’ x 24’ Covered Concrete Patio
- New Pool Pump — June 2012
- New Shingle Roof on House and Garage — July 2013
- New Slate Roof on Steeple — July 2013
- Exterior of Home Painted Current Shade of Pink — August 2013
- Interior Home Painted — September 2014
- Water Heater Replaced September 2015
- Attic Insulated with Blown-In Insulation — May 2017
- New Furnace and Main Air-Conditioner Replaced — October 2018
- Basement Waterproofed — April 2019
- Louisville Gas & Electric
- Louisville Water Company
- Louisville MSD Sewers
REAL ESTATE TAXES
- Annual (2018) — $8479.00
All exterior changes are governed by the design guidelines of the historic preservation district. Any questions, feel free to contact Savannah Darr, Planning and Design Coordinator @ 502-574-5705.
ST. JAMES – BELGRAVIA COURT HISTORY
The Pink Palace has been a significant structure in the St. James-Belgravia Historic District in Old Louisville. The neighborhood just South of Central Park was originally the site of the Southern Exposition of Art, Industry, and Agriculture where a series of world’s fairs were held in the city of Louisville. Thomas Edison personally turned on the switch to light the Exposition which was known for its largest display of electric lighting outside of New York, and attracted one million people over a five year period from 1883-1887.
After the Southern Exposition closed, the land was thoughtfully developed as one of Louisville’s first example of urban site-planning with the design of residential rows that face not only a street, but the green pedestrian mall of St. James with its magnificent fountain. The Belgravia area also has a walking court with a green area instead of a street with homes facing each other, away from traffic and other urban noise. This soon became a model for housing in other areas of the city.
The area is host to the St. James Court Art Show, an open air arts and craft show since 1957, and is held annually on the first weekend of October. Surrounded by elegant Victorian surroundings the artists exhibit and sell paintings, drawings, sculptures, textiles, art glass, pottery, jewelry and much more.
To prevent bid sniping, last-minute bids will extend individual lots using our ‘soft-close’ functionality.
- If a bid is placed in the last 10 minutes, the lot will remain open for an additional 10 minutes.
- If any further bidding occurs, the extension timer will reset to 10 minutes.
- If no further bidding occurs, the lot closes when the timer runs out.
From downtown Louisville take West Broadway to South on 4th Street. 1.2 miles to right on W. Magnolia Avenue to left on Saint James Court across from Central Park. Continue to home on left.